We’ve mere weeks to go until Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind opens to all visitors at EPCOT. If you’re as anxious as we are about blasting off on an intergalactic chase through time and space then we’ve got some awesome details to tide you over!
According to a recent press release by Disney, the family-friendly thrill ride matches the “grandiosity” and fun of the blockbuster films. It also marks a milestone in EPCOT’s incredible transformations as part of Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary celebration.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind were located in the World Discovery neighborhood. The coaster is housed inside the first “other-world” pavilion at EPCOT. The backstory goes that Xandarians traveled from their homeworld to Earth to create the Wonders of Xandar Pavilion. This location was designed for EPCOT guests to learn more about people and their advanced technologies.
Highlights of the Pavilion include the following:
- The Galaxarium – A sweeping planetarium-style space showingcasing planets, stars and other intergalactic wonders. The Xandarian supercomputer Worldmind provides narration on the Galaxarium and adds stunning visuals to the mix.
- Xandar Gallery – Learn more about the Xandarian people, culture, history including the heroes of Xandar. Here you’ll find specialty crafted displays including models of starships and Xandarian city. Here you’ll also find excerpts from “Good Morning Xandar” where a host interviews Star-Lord, Gamora and the rest of the Guardians about their heroic deeds.
- phase chamber The tour concludes in the Phase Chamber where guests instantly teleport from EPCOT to a Nova Corps Starcharter cruiser orbiting Earth. Here you’ll find out more about the Cosmic Generator a piece of Xandarian technology that creates artificial tunnels in space which allows for rapid travel across space.
When guests reach the Starcharter, you’ll soon realize that something is amiss. This culminates in a massive being appearing outside the ship. Here’s what transpires:
- Eson – Is a Celestial who has been watching Earth for eons and now intents to use the Cosmic Generator to jump back in time and alter the course of humanity.
- Nova Prime Irani Rael – The leader commanders her top officer, Centurion Tal Marik, to contact Guardians of the Galaxy right away for assistance.
- The Terrans Its up to you to evacuate the ship via Starjumper shuttles which are small escape pods that launch from the Starcharter cruiser.
- Guardians – When the Guardians arrive on the scene, they reprogram the Starjumpers so guests can help them track down Eson following the Celestial through a jump point on an intergalactic chase to save the galaxy.
A Ride of “Firsts”
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewinds marks a lot of exciting firsts for Disney including:
- The first coaster attraction at EPCOT
- The first reverse launch for a Disney coaster
- The first Disney Omnicoaster where vehicles rotate so that guests are constantly focused on the action.
- The first Walt Disney World attraction to feature Guardians of the Galaxy.
An Awesome Mix Tape of a Soundtrack
It wouldn’t be the Guardians of the Galaxy without a killer soundtrack of classic pop music. The onboard audio features hit tunes from the 70s and 80s as you soar through the cosmos.
More than 100 songs were tested for the attraction and six songs were chosen. this includesA:
- Disco Inferno
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World
- I Ran
- One way or another.
Guests won’t know which of the six songs you’ll get until you jump into space with the Guardians.
A Treasure Trove of Xandarian Goodies
Be on the lookout for Guardians of the Galaxy-themed fashions, accessories, home decor, collectibles and toys at the Treasures of Xandar shop, located at the wonders of Xandar pavilion. The Broker was hired to operate this new merchandise location on Terra where you’ll find:
- Heroes of Xandar Collection Imagine all of the gear and memorabilia fans would collection during the Guardians fictional intergalactic tour.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Through the Eyes of Quill Collection – A line of items inspired by Peter Quill’s childhood featuring retro silhouettes and graphic designs.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Honorary Guardians Collection – Show off your new hero status as an Honorary Guardian with items featuring hues of gold and navy and an Honorary Guardian emblem.
- Groot Through the Years Collection Devoted to the sentient tree-like creature the collection includes toys, home decor, children’s apparel and more. Items illustrate Groot’s evolution from being an infant to adolescent.
There are so many more incredible details about Cosmic Rewind. Here are a few of our additional favorite fun facts:
- Star Blaster – In front of the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, you’ll want to be on the lookout for a full-size version of this Xandarian ship which is the first of its kind!
- Longest Fully Enclosed Coaster – Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is the longest fully enclosed coaster in ANY Disney theme park and one of the longest enclosed coasters in the world!
- 200,000 square feet – The attraction covers more than 200,000 square feet with its main show building stretching longer than a football field. In addition the buildings foundation takes more than 80 miles of rebar and 9,000-plus cubic yards of concrete.
- Four Spaceship Earths would fit inside the Cosmic Rewind show building.
- Nova Prime – Academy Awards nominee Glenn Closer reprises her role from Guardian of the Galaxy as Nova Prime Irani Rael. She is the leader of Xandar and commander of Nova Corps.
- Inspired by Guardians 3 – Disney Imagineers actually paid a visit to the set of Guardian of the Galaxy volume 3 to film with the stars of the show.
- Movie Score – Composer Tyler Bates from Guardian of the Galaxy actually created more than two hours of music for the score of the attraction.
- A Movie in Itself Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind features 75 minutes of original Marvel content.
Readers are encouraged to keep following along with MickeyBlog for further Walt Disney World news and updates. We’ll be coming to you LIVE from the theme parks each and every week.
With new policies and procedures in place during the year ahead, there’s never been a better time to work with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner who can help you navigate through Disney’s new way of doing things! I’ll be on hand to assist with everything from finding that perfect package and getting the best deals to organizing park passes, Disney Genie+ and dining reservations. Best of all- my services are ABSOLUTELY FREE!
Just fill out my form HERE to get your FREE, no-obligation quote. Alternatively, feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook