March is Women’s History Month and Disney has a handful of awesome ways that they plan on marking the occasion. All month long “Celebrate HER Story will be putting the spotlight on Disney heroines, talented cast members and more. This covers everyone from engineers, magic makers and chefs to talented female-led entertainment and unique offerings – this month, they’ll be someone for everyone to enjoy!
Here are some awesome examples:
Art and Music
Unique Photo Opportunities – Be on the lookout for unique photo-silhouette backdrops are one of the ways Disney is celebrating women this month. These backdrops will showcase strong female Disney characters. You’ll find these photo ops across the property including Disney Springs, Resort hotels and more.
See if you can find your favorite heroine during your visit and share your story on social media by tagging #CelebrateHERStory.
Disney Springs Dance PartyThis Friday and Saturday a DJ will lead a Disney sing-along for families on the AdventHealth Waterside Stage. The playlist will feature songs by some of Disney’s most beloved and inspirational female characters. On top of that an eclectic array of female performers will be featured most nights throughout the month of March.
Garden Rocks Concert Series – EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival will once again be holding the Garden Rock Concert Series. Several female artists will take the stage of the American Gardens Theatre.
Some noteworthy performances include:
- Skillzmatic – March 2nd, 3rd, 29th, 30th, 31st
- Melina Leon – March 11:12
- CeCe Winans – March 13, 14
- hello sister March 15, 16, 17
- Glass Ceiling – March 22, 23, 24
Madame Leota Cupcake – Magic Kingdom Park – Head over to Liberty Square Market for this cupcake celebrating Leota Toombs. This treat features chocolate-cherry cake filled with black cherry-lime cream finished with blackberry buttercream.
it’s a small world cupcake – Magic Kingdom – Inspired by the work of esteemed Disney artist Mary Blair, this treat is made up of Lemon funfetti cake, blue raspberry and vanilla-lemon buttercream.
Cinderella Mosaic Cupcake – Mickey Blog – Be on the lookout for this stunning treat at select outdoor food and beverage carts on Main Street US.A. This cake is inspired by Dorothea Redmond. It’s made of Champagne-flavored cake filled with fresh raspberry champagne compote finished with gold champagne buttercream, mosaic tile sprinkles and chocolate garnish.
At Select Disney Resort Hotels: Kicking off International Women’s Day on March 8 and continuing through the month, two Disney Resort hotels will offer specialties inspired by the women of the Disney animated feature, “Encanto.”
At Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort and Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, discover:
- Chorizo Arepas: Cheese arepas topped with chorizo, red pepper and onion egg scramble, arugula, and sliced avocado
- Mirabel Cupcake: Cinnamon cupcake filled with custard and topped with coconut buttercream, toasted coconut, and Mirabel-inspired fondant garnishes
Also at Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort, you can enjoy:
- Luisa Push-Up Cake Pop: Layers of vanilla cake and tres leches pastry cream topped with a donut hole ‘boulder’
- Encanto Cholado: Crushed ice topped with sliced fresh fruit, sweetened condensed milk and shredded coconut
At Disney Springs: Select locations will showcase signature food and drinks.
Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar will showcase inspired dishes created by female chefs:
- Nona’s Home-Style Meatballs presented by Sous Chef Lori Tiritilli: Italian meatballs with Sunday gravy, basil pesto, and scratch-made lemon ricotta, grilled focaccia crostini, grated pecorino cheese
- Carne Frita con Tostones presented by Sous Chef Natalie Floyd: Crispy pork shoulder tostones, pickled onions, citrus aioli
Tempt your sweet tooth by heading over to Amorette’s Patisserie to enjoy:
- “The Passion of My Life” Dessert presented by Pastry Chef Yoly Lazo Colon: Pineapple, mango and toasted coconut mousse, coconut chiffon cake, white chocolate crisp pearls and infused passion fruit glacage
Or, visit The Ganachery to discover a treat inspired by a fierce female Padawan:
- Lady Tano Pop, a concept by Chocolatier Katie Dodge presented by Chef Chocolatier Amanda Lauder: Plant-based coconut and blueberry swirled ganache topped with dark 65% chocolate
All month long, the Play Disney Parks app will feature a special “Women of Imagineering” trivia game highlighting current and former female Disney Imagineers and the incredible contributions they have made to The Walt Disney Company. The celebration even extends to Disney Mobile Magic Service, where passes featuring exclusive new designs showcase favorite female characters like Edna Mode, Mrs. Incredible, Minnie Mouse and more. These special passes will be available throughout March.
At EPCOT: Explore two exhibits spotlighting female trailblazers:
- “Rally of the Gazelles (Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles du Maroc)” is an immersive vignette found in the Morocco pavilion. It highlights the country’s all-female off-road race, where navigation skills, determination and teamwork mean the difference between getting ahead and going off-course.
- “Creating Tradition: Innovation and Change in American Indian Art” is an exhibit found in the American Adventure pavilion. It showcases authentic, historical Native artifacts alongside contemporary works of American Indian art, demonstrating examples of cultural traditions which have been handed down through generations. Among the featured artists with works on display are fashion designer Loren Aragon (Acoma Pueblo), noted doll-maker Glenda McKay (Ingalik-Athabascan) and Juanita Growing Thunder (Assiniboine Sioux) from the Growing Thunder family of Montana.
Discover curated items and specialty merchandise available at various locations all month long! Here is a first look at new nuiMOs outfits celebrating female empowerment. They’re coming soon to Disney theme parks and shopDisney.com.
There’s More to Come
Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog to learn what else will soon debut in honor of Women’s History Month – from special fitness events to spotlights on female entrepreneurs and culinary talent, and limited-time offerings.
We hope you will join us at Walt Disney World this month to “Celebrate HER Story!” And be sure to follow along on the Disney Parks Blog to see more #CelebrateHERStory opportunities, and learn about the amazing women we’ll be celebrating all month long.
Readers are encouraged to keep following along with MickeyBlog for more ways to celebrate Women’s History Month at the theme parks and beyond!